Kamis, 07 Juni 2018

Sponsored Links

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad...: Exploring the New Look of the ...
src: 2.bp.blogspot.com


Video Wikipedia talk:Adopt-a-user/Archive 2



How did you adopt?

Well, how are you? ~~ GAURA ~~ 00:37, January 4, 2007 (UTC)

I think the main project page says that. What do you specifically mean? Ã ¢ â,‰ € Å" Sco tt y Knows 02:30, 4 January 2007 (UTC)


Maps Wikipedia talk:Adopt-a-user/Archive 2



I am back

Hello. This is Flameviper, saying that I'm back to my happy home here on Wikipedia. I have to get out of here for a month or so, for reasons I will not discuss now.

And for other reasons that I'm not going to discuss right now, I've realized that Wikipedia is the place for Flamey Snake. So, without further ado, I will discuss the current situation.

As far as Adopt-a-User, I would like to say that I am very proud of its current progress and that Lethaniol seems to be doing a great job in managing a growing program. I must say that at first, I had doubts about whether others would be able to do the same thing I did, but after periodically checking to see what Lethaniol had done, I was convinced that Adopt-a-User was in safe hands.

Although Lethaniol does a great job right now, I do not think that one person will eventually be able to control a big program. And if you need help with things, just call me. I will be there in a moment.

Lopng Direct Wiki, font color = "# CC0000"> Fire /font> r 15:02, January 7, 2007 (UTC)

Hi Flame - thanks for the compliment - but it's your idea and your hard work that keeps the program running and running - where credit credits are due.
There is still much to do with program development, from updating the Adopter and Adoptee areas to creating a system that enables easy adoption of an increasing number of users who want it (see suggestions above).
Will raise the date to do the list properly tomorrow - with things to be done on development and common day-to-day things eg. keeps a list in Users: Lethaniol/Adopters up to date.
Anyway glad you're back Flameviper, and I hope you and others will help bring the program to the next level - a wikipedia project that's worthwhile. Cheers Lethaniol 00:10, January 9, 2007 (UTC)


Wiki - Wikipedia
src: upload.wikimedia.org


Banyak Orang yang Ingin Diadopsi!

It became clear that as the Adopt-a-user program became more and more popular, the Category: Wikipedians who wanted to be adopted in Adopt-a-users became a bit complicated. This is because it is more difficult for newer Adopters to find the ones they want to offer adopted, and that some users looking for Adoption do not currently offer them. The above mentioned solution to remove Template: Adoptme from users who have offered some adoption or inactivity since the adoption bid à ¢ â,‰ € Å"had worked to a certain extent cut the amount to about 2/3, but still leaves 30 strange users who looking for adoption. and that number will only increase.

One of the reasons for increasing demand is the Template: Welcome123 that has advertise the program very well. I made a recent change [1] that removes instructions on how to add Adoptme to the user page, and instead guides people to the WP: ADOPT page. This means new users should read about Adoption, give them more buy, before learning how to adopt.

Another change I made was in the Template: Adoptme itself, adding a link to Wikipedia: Adopting-a-User/Adoptee's Area/Adoptters so users can track potential adopters themselves.

Proposal New Category

Above if this I have the following proposal:

Create a new category for example - Category: Wikipedians looking for adoption with Adopt-a-Users that have been offered adoption by one or more experienced users.
Create a new user box where Adoptters replace user boxes Adoptme after they offer Adoption to users. This user box will obviously add that user to the categories mentioned above.

Originally someone (my possibility :() had to spin and change this user box, but once the person got into the swing, the Adoptters themselves can do this 10 second job One of the main advantages of this proposal is that it still allows us to keep an eye on users who has been offered adoption but has not yet been adopted, as well as leaving them a user box with links/info on how to ask other users if they do not like users who have offered adoption is an additional editing that every user should perform.

What do people think of à ¢ â,‰ € Å"ya or not? If not, please submit some other suggestions on how to improve the situation in Category: Wikipedians who want to be adopted in Adopt-a-user. Again if there is no reply within a few days, I will enforce this. I'll also create temporary user boxes and categories for a while. Cheers Lethaniol 16:23, January 6, 2007 (UTC):

I like new categories, but can we think of shorter names? - TeckWiz Talk Contribs @ 15:08, January 7, 2007 (UTC)
Okay I have enforced this - and now there Category: Wikipedians has been offered adoption and Templates: Adoptoffer - I have changed the Adoption Area to reflect this change and I will soon update other areas. Cheers Lethaniol 16:02, January 10, 2007 (UTC)


Rejoice, and be exceeding glad...: Exploring the New Look of the ...
src: 4.bp.blogspot.com


Contact All Adoption and Adoption

Right - have implemented the Template: Adoptoffer - see above.

The next thing I want to do is leave messages on all users who/or have been involved in the program to drive interest in the new Adopter and Adoptee Areas as well as increase interest. So for the following people, I think to leave the next info

  • Current Adoption
  1. Tell them about the new Adoptee Area
  2. Ask them to add resources they find useful
  3. Ask them to leave info about their experience
  • Current Adoption
  1. Tell them about the new Adopter Area
  2. Ask them to add resources they find useful
  3. Ask them to leave info about their experience
  4. Ask them to provide details here.
  5. Explain the new Adoptoffer username and sub cat box.
  • Adopters waiting to adopt
  1. Tell them about the new Adopter Area
  2. Ask them to add resources they find useful
  3. Ask them to leave info about their experience.
  4. Ask them to provide details here.
  5. Describe the new Adoptoffer User/cat box, and that they may need to approach users directly if they want to adopt.
  • Users who show interest in the program but are never involved (eg during user settings load leave a support message on the talk page, see archive but have not returned)
  1. Tell us about the success of Adopt-a-users.
  2. Encourage them to come and see, and get involved.

Right mind. I know this is a bit like unsolicited spam, but I think it should be fine as one off. Therefore why would I want to get all the information there that needs to be there - whatever is missing. I will likely send these messages on Saturday, and may be able to help us - please. Cheers Lethaniol 17:13, January 10, 2007 (UTC)

Wow, this will make things much clearer and easier to navigate. I will discuss Category: Wikipedia that you want to adopt in Adopt-a-user and change the template. --Daniel Olsen 05:37, January 12, 2007 (UTC)
Rightly sent messages to all the last three cats on the list above, just need to get around to writing and sending messages to all adoptions right now. - anyone likes to help ???? Cheers Lethaniol 15:42, January 13, 2007 (UTC)


Smartphone - Wikipedia
src: upload.wikimedia.org


Some questions.

How does adoption work? Do you keep an eye on them and offer advice when they make mistakes, or just wait until they come to you with questions, or what? How long does it take for general adoption? Dev920 (Have a good day!) 11:42, January 13, 2007 (UTC)

Well here is my opinion - other opinions will be greatly welcomed. Generally I let the adopted person ask me, and keep away from their hair. If an adopted person does not ask a lot of questions or has been silent for a while, I drop by the page they are giving a friendly greeting and maybe check out their contribution to see what they have done. Only if they have a clear problem, e.g. blocks, vandalism tags, conflicts with other users, or small things like not signing a talk page or using an editing summary I'll try offering clear suggestions.
In the case of the adoption process, the standard way seems to be dropped by the category for users seeking adoption, ask some of these users if they want to be adopted (generally will not get 100% success rate when you offer adoption - but be prepared for it if it happens), wait for them to confirm on their/talk page, confirm the adoption by updating the adoption template, and then ask them what help they want with. The adoption then continues until:
  1. Recognized to be experienced to pass from the program (for average users may be between 1-3 months).
  2. The adopted party becomes inactive or does not respond to your support offer.
  3. The adopted party is not happy with their users and wants a new one or wants to leave the program.
  4. The adopters become unhappy with their partners - e.g. in the rare case that an adopted person is using an adopter to hide behind when they are involved in a conflict.
The length of adoption is interesting because I've found that I get a lot of simple questions right from the start, and then as adoption users become more comfortable with Wikipedia without many questions, but when you get them they tend to be the more involved eg dealing with conflicts, organizing templates, wikiproyek etc. or reviewing their work.
Yes I hope it helps, Cheers Lethaniol 13:08, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
Yes, it answered my question. I will add a list of adopters and find the adopted person. Thank you! Dev920 (Have a good day!) 18:14, January 13, 2007 (UTC)


Springfield's Heroin Epidemic
src: d194ip2226q57d.cloudfront.net


Apa yang harus dilakukan ketika satu adopter tidak cukup?

Hi! I may ask too much, but do not you think that the adopted user can be bound by only one adopter when he or she may need more than one. With respect to my adopter (who is so good to me so far), how I ask for adoption together. A person may need more than one opinion, a quicker answer to a question or a larger area of ​​expertise. What's more this program is a wonderful opportunity for new users like me to learn things and remove doubts. Please help! Mahalo !! - Vikas Kumar Ojha Talk to me! 19:20, January 14, 2007 (UTC)

Hi Vikas - You are welcome to have a shared adopter - enter {{Adoptme}} again on your user page, and leave a message on your conversation page stating that you want a shared user to the reason above (do not forget to tell the current user :)) or better yet search here and contact the available adopters you like, by yourself. Cheers Lethaniol 19:56, January 14, 2007 (UTC)
Thank you, Lethaniol! I'll try it soon. Hope my current adopters are not offended, because that would be very unfortunate. He is nice to me and we share a lot of interest. I do not know if I can choose someone from a list that might be able to help me in my way. I need someone, along with my current adopters, who can give me more time, more interest in my work and also teach me what I do not know about WP with a planned approach. I see that you have a lot of people adopted, is there a place for another one? Or maybe you can suggest someone who can fulfill my request that is not right. Just Kidding! Ã, :) Mahalo !! - Vikas Kumar Ojha Talk to me! 03:23, January 15, 2007 (UTC)
I'm a little busy taking other active adoptions right now - I have no advice - as far as I can see most of the Adoptions on the list mentioned above are the best users. Have a look through them - if you see one or two that you like approaching them. Cheers Lethaniol 15:43, January 15, 2007 (UTC)


File:Louis-&-Chanel-taking-a-nap.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
src: upload.wikimedia.org


Taking a break from the Adopt-a-user job

Hello all -

You may have noticed that I've put a lot of work into Adopt-a-users over the last two months - now it's time for me to rest and play with other things on Wikipedia. I will remain as a very active Adopter and continue to Adopt new users, also I will continue with the following tasks:

  1. Complete and send messages to all Adoptees as mentioned above.
  2. Keep up to date Adopter lists in Users: Lethaniol/Adopters.
  3. Sort by Category: Wikipedians who want to be adopted in Adopt-a-users and move anyone who has been offered adoption to Category: Wikipedians has been offered adoption that is to change {{Adoptme}} to {{Adoptoffer}}.

I hope that someone will take a development job and take Adopt-a-user to the next level. I'm always here though if you need help or advice. Cheers Lethaniol 14:05, January 16, 2007 (UTC)

Cheers, Leth. Good luck. ~ Fire vip e r Who is Peach? 17:18, January 16, 2007 (UTC)


Agile Archives - Page 2 of 3 - Practice Agile
src: practiceagile.com


Wikibreak, kemungkinan pensiun

I took a long wikibreak while I contemplated stopping from Wikipedia. I have adopted User: Xero Anarian, Users: Most Dark Clock (which may be ready for graduation), and User: Lazylaces. Do what you have to do with them. Peace, - The remove delete 04 : 10, January 21, 2007 (UTC)

  • I will retrieve it. Are you okay with that? Peace. --James, La gloria ÃÆ'¨ a dio 00:09, January 22, 2007 (UTC)
    • Yes, - The Hyb delete 4:04, January 22, 2007 (UTC)


Wikipedia talk:Featured picture criteria/archive 2 - Wikipedia
src: upload.wikimedia.org


Adopted

I have adopted my Grandpa even though I have been banned in the last 6 months. - Punk Boi 8 05:46, January 22, 2007 (UTC)

I started the program 2 days after it was not blocked: P
Do not worry about that. That rule is just there so we do not have a little Willies on Wheels that goes around being a bad influence on other users. ~ Fire vip e r Who is Peach? 13:33, January 24, 2007 (UTC)


Don't Talk To Me Or My Son Ever Again | Know Your Meme
src: i0.kym-cdn.com


Categorization and userbox

Hello. I just want to let the people who organize and edit this great help forum know that I've just been through all the pages (at least I can find) and categorize the pages under Category: Simple Adopt-a-Users. In this way, it would be easier to a) find all the forum pages in one place, and b) update all pages using AWB if something needs to be changed in the future.

I also fiddled with very little userbox by adding category emphasis to them. In this way, the actual userbox can be displayed on the template page and not the alternate version. It provides a "live preview" of the actual userbox, which also helps detect whether anyone has damaged the box. I also tried to track the non-user pages where this userbox has been displayed and hit categories on those pages (since they are not users, the page does not need to be adopted).

If anyone has a question about what I do or want more details, feel free to ask. I think this is a great idea for a program, and I recently adopted three Wikipedians. I think it would be good to give back to the program a bit, too. Applause! - Willscrlt Ã, ( T alkÃ, Â · C ntrb ) 03:14, 30 January 2007 (UTC)

Undead Settlement | Dark Souls 3 Wiki
src: darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com


Help: Contents

Only 2 links from the main page, that is! Huzzah! ~ Fire vip e r Who is Peach? 17:27, January 31, 2007 (UTC)

Internet radio - Wikipedia
src: upload.wikimedia.org


Page reworked

I recently sorted the list of adopters. I hope I make no mistakes, but it may be worth checking out of a second pair of eyes. Dar-Ape 01:00, February 14, 2007 (UTC)

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad...: Exploring the New Look of the ...
src: 1.bp.blogspot.com


Criteria for adopting

I think that those who have been banned from editing in the last 6 months because they have used a proxy like Google Web Accelerator should still be allowed to adopt. If it already exists, it needs to be determined. à ¢ â,¬ â € Å"An incomplete comment was added by Jesin (speaking à ¢ â, ¬ ¢ contribs) 18:42, 19 February 2007 (UTC).

Uh, obviously such a thing would be allowed, I would think. Apply common sense - we want to avoid creep instructions. --Sopoforic 06:38, February 20, 2007 (UTC)




Backlog

Hai friends,

I see there are arrears growing in Category: Wikipedia that want to be adopted in Adopt-a-user, any ideas on how to sort this, some suggestions for making ball scrolling:

  1. Recruit more Adoption
  2. Encourage all Adopters to take one or more new Adoptions

Not sure if these ideas will work but certainly need something done! Cheers Lethaniol 16:38, February 5, 2007 (UTC)

How many criteria are 500 edits? And can you count edits on other wiki projects. Users Urbane (talk) (Contributed) 22:00, 9 February 2007 (UTC)
Not too tight - if you discuss on this page first. If someone has a lot of experience on other wiki projects where policies etc... are similar then I'm fine, and I'm sure many others, will be fine in adopting them. Cheers Lethaniol 23:35, 9 February 2007 (UTC)
I want to adopt the user. I do not have 500 edits in wikipedia yet, but i know it's policy and technique, and my lasso has significant experience on wikibooks. Is it okay for me to get involved in this way? Urbane User (talk) (Contributed) 18:34, 22 February 2007 (UTC)
Yes I think it will be fine but I think there is one condition - IMHO You need to edit Wikipedia periodically ie every day or two so that you can respond to any questions your recipients may ask. Cheers Lethaniol 20:10, February 22, 2007 (UTC)
Even if I do not actively edit, I can always respond to messages every day. although I try to edit every day Urbane User (Speak) (Contributed) 11:38, February 23, 2007 (UTC)




Using AWB

I do not see a problem with that, however, I just want to make sure it's okay to use AWB to change {{my adoption}} to {{adoptoffer}} on their user pages. Is that? - TeckWiz Parlate Contribs @ 03:07, March 3, 2007 (UTC)

I do not see anything wrong in principle, but wanting to use AWB means you'll be offering adoption to a number of users, and you should be careful not to offer adoption to too many users at once. I know you're a good man, and I'm sure you can control it well. Dar-Ape 03:41, 4 March 2007 (UTC)
There does not appear to be an active adoption. I usually only get one question per day. I think they still go to Wikipedia. So, I have plenty of room for people. - TeckWiz Parlate Contribs @ 03:59, 4 March 2007 (UTC)
I do not see a problem using AWB (although you have to use something like a linked piped template: {{Adoptoffer | Lethaniol}}) Of course I also have some adoptions, but I find that they load low questions. that's when I offer adoption, I usually do it for a handful of users (4-8), because even though the initial workload will be high, it goes down.Click Lethaniol 12:10, 4 March 2007 (UTC)




Inactive users

Some people like WillStott (speaking Ã, Â · contribs) make only a few edits, sometimes only to their user pages and in a very short period of time, add {{adoptme}} to their user pages, and then leave. This user, as in this case, shows little or no interest in the project and seems unlikely to return but fill the Category: Wikipedians are looking to be adopted in Adopt-users and make it more difficult to identify active users who need help. Is there a solution to this other than deleting {{adoptme}} from the active user page? If not, how long should someone wait before doing it? Dar-Ape 17:24, February 24, 2007 (UTC)

I would say after a week, of course two, just remove the adopme. If they come back, they can add it back. - MECU ÃÆ' Â ¢ Ã ¢ â,¬ Ã <Ã <â € talk 17:32, February 24 2007 (UTC)
This is the main reason why I created Template: Adoptoffer so that users with little editing can be offered adoption, but not clog Category: Wikipedians who want to be adopted in Adopt-a-user. So, please let everyone replace {{adoptme}} with {{adoptoffer}} when offering adoption. Cheers Lethaniol 10:59, 7 March 2007 (UTC)




I dumped my adoption

I see a new user, Saikano who is in small trouble and listed as seeking adoption. Unfortunately, he showed little interest in improvements, so I have "thrown it away". Is there a procedure for this other than removing userbox? - dgies t c 02:17, 7 March 2007 (UTC)

There is no really procedure because the program is still quite new. In general I try to maintain adoption, even if they get into trouble, and try and steer them to the right path. Of course, if this fails, and the users obviously do not intend to improve their behavior, then I would suggest leaving a polite note on their page telling them what you are doing and why. Also include that if they want another adoption, they can insert {{adoptme}} into their user pages, but suggest that they need to want to improve their view if they want successful adoption. Then remove the adoption template from you and their user page.
Basically, and I have experience with "bad" people, including sockpuppets, I always try to have good faith and give everyone who they adopt to go back to WP: ADOPTION if they want to improve their behavior. Hope it helps. Cheers Lethaniol 10:56, March 7, 2007 (UTC)
Yes, I tried several times to point it in the right direction, but it seems that all he wants to do is work on his user page. Look at his lecture page history if you want stories about destruction. - dgies t c 18:23, March 10, 2007 (UTC)




Upgrade Adoption

Hello all,

As you might notice Category: Wikipedia that you want to adopt in Adopt-a-user is quite "full". Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to get more people adopted?

My only idea is to leave messages on all users of the user talk page asking them to pick up more people who are adopted (especially since most adoptions are silent after a few days). Thought please. Cheers Lethaniol 16:02, March 10, 2007 (UTC)

Follow an ad campaign. Tell friends and family. Hit up all the admins you know and notify them for Adopt-a-User. The Jade Knight 09:09, March 11, 2007 (UTC)
Not all scholarship recipients seem to understand how the system should work. Over the past week I offered adoption to six editors, and only one answered. At all. - Anthony.bradbury 14:44, March 18, 2007 (UTC)
I have a similar experience Anthony - I usually offer adoption in 5-10 batches, but only find about 1/3 replies. This may be for two reasons.
  1. The new user will sign up for an adoption service, and then get bored with Wikipedia - hence why we have categories for users that have been offered adoption.
  2. That users have been waiting so long for Adopter to offer adoption that they're bored.

Now I think the first problem has been addressed, but the second one does not need to be sorted and that is the part and part below. Cheers Lethaniol 14:24, March 19, 2007 (UTC)


Pending adoption

Is there a way of listing people looking for adoption in date order when they request it instead of alphabetical order? I have offered adoption to some people but do not know if they have been waiting longer or shorter than others. (I try to avoid alphabetical bias by starting in the middle...) Thoughts? Bencherlite 22:43, March 17, 2007 (UTC)

Not a bad idea. Maybe a template could include a date field, or something? In my case, as a note, I really started from the back, and put a little randomness to try to avoid alphabetical bias. The Jade Knight 00:12, March 18, 2007 (UTC)
Okay, I'm a tech wizard if I say it myself. I'll see if I can come up with something that fits the bill. Good? Zazzer 14:33, March 18, 2007 (UTC)
Usually to create a template including date fields we need bots. --Deryck C. 04:26, March 19, 2007 (UTC)
This sounds like a good idea if someone can do it. Ideally we should try to keep the number of people looking for low adoption though - say less than 20 - this way will not be a problem. Cheers Lethaniol 14:01, March 19, 2007 (UTC)
I believe some other templates that use dates do so by creating a wrapping template you substasikan, which includes the original template and some magic words as parameters. I never created templates, but as I understand it, it would not be hard to add automatic dating to templates. --Sopoforic 09:49, March 20, 2007 (UTC)




How can an adopter choose appropriate adoption?

We may sort it by language, problem, and some other criteria. For example, if adoption and recipient users have the same language - when they are not native English speakers - or both participate in the same problem, it can be more helpful and successful. For example I am persian for that I can adopt persia better than others.-- Sa.vakilian (t-c) 08:49, March 20, 2007 (UTC)

I suggest creating a form for who's looking for adoption and asking him languages, time zones, and some other important issues to help adopt by finding the right one. - Sa.vakilian (t-c) 09:47, March 20, 2007 (UTC)




I'm confused

I can not understand the differences between Categories: Wikipedians involved with Adopt-a-users # Pages in the "Wikipedians involved with Adopt-a-user" category and Category: Wikipedians that have been adopted in Adopt-a-user - Sa.vakilian (tc) 08:44, March 20, 2007 (UTC)

The first should contain everyone involved in Adopt-a-user, adopter and adoption (though most must be found only in subcategories.) I wonder why they are not). The second is only those who have adopted others, not those who seek to adopt or adopt. The Jade Knight 23:07, 28 March 2007 (UTC)




Apakah ini memberikan gagasan yang salah tentang Wikipedia?

It seems like a program like this can give new users the wrong idea that Wikipedia is a social networking site rather than an encyclopedia. Is there a goal for adoption that can not be served by the kind of normal feedback that editors will get from other editors? Friday (talk) 23:25, 28 March 2007 (UTC)

There is a little discussion about this in the archive of this page, see [2]. If there is, through an adoption program, it should be pointed out that we are not a social networking site, along with all other policies. Not everyone learns the same thing. If we can convert some additional, different member-types that may not be trapped otherwise, then the program will be useful. - MECU Ã ¢ â € ° Ë † talk 01:58, 29 March 2007 (UTC)




How do I find a suitable introduction?

I am looking to adopt users, but to ensure my first experience with this project is great, I want to be a user in a particular interest area. I do not want to be unable to help them because I happen to not understand the subject they edit. Did anyone find an easier way to find the adopted person who did not involve checking every user who sought adoption by hand? - Mgm | (talk) 12:37, April 24, 2007 (UTC)

I do not know of any way to do this other than checking each user by hand, but in my opinion, it's not that important. The question raised by the adopted person will not be in line, "I am confused about the various styles of art used during the Renaissance." They will be more appropriate, "How do I add references/images/etc.. To the page?" or "What do I do if XYZ keeps returning my changes?" You should be able to answer those questions regardless of the area of ​​interest.
Even if the question is something like, "Is XYZ important enough to guarantee its own article?" You can provide information about the policy of impartiality, and let the adopted person know the answer by himself. - P urple


New member

Hello, I just signed up for this program and recently also graduated as an adopted from coelacan, who feel I am ready to adopt other users. I am very interested in supporting and encouraging users who want to be part of the project.

I have offered adoption to some people on the list and notice that there are some who have been around long enough and are wondering if there is a way to sort the list by date so that those who wait the longest can be contacted in a more appropriate time. mode.

I also noticed the thread above: waiting period before becoming an adopter. Does anyone have a problem with me jumping to the right?

Thank you! - kill sparrow (chirp!) 04:38, 24 April 2007 (UTC))

I have no problem with you "jumping into 'adoption, viewing your edit list I do not believe that there will be a problem with you adopting the user, if you feel up to it. Users Urbane (talk) (Contributed) 05:59, April 24, 2007 (UTC)
I agree that sorting scholarship recipients by date will be helpful. I think what might happen sometimes is that someone signs up, but is not adopted for a while, and thinks things out by itself, or with the help of others. They never bother deleting the userbox/category, and stay on the list, even though they've been active on Wikipedia for a while. à ¢ â,¬ â € Å"An incomplete comment was added by PurpleRain (talk à ¢ â, ¬ ¢ ¢ contribs) 15:34, 24 April 2007 (UTC).
As one way to overcome this I have left a message that offers adoption on some pages and also says something like... I see you are already around, if you feel you no longer need adoption you can remove the 'adoption' tag from your user page. However, it would be nice to have a chronological list. I was offered adoption within a few days after posting my interest but some have been waiting for months! - kill sparrow (chirp!) 16:29, April 24, 2007 (UTC)

I was one of the beginners who gladly adopted by Chinese bird killers like killing sparrows. I am not a beginner on Wikipedia, English is not my first language which makes contribution difficult. Sometimes I do not understand abrvs on the help page. Tonight I suggest to adopt adoption system to de: WP. Is not that a brilliant interwiki idea? --MrsMyer 00:59, April 27, 2007 (UTC)




I do not know....

I want to be more involved on Wikipedia, and have done a lot of destruction over the past two weeks. I have contributed for some time, mostly anonymously, although I can certainly say that my first edit was December 31, 2005. I registered the username I created my first edit 22/03/06, but I have left this account for some time then because that is a pseudonym that is very easy to associate with me in general, and anyone can find my home address etc. just use my simple username and WHOIS. If anyone needs to know, I'll tell them the old username, if they ask via email. So that's why I left my old account.

I am not big in writing articles beyond my own knowledge, I will search for, fix, and correct the articles in my limited knowledge. I am against the rioters. I am a reasonable person with good judgment, and a cold temperament; I can deal with the troublemakers and their friends without getting angry. I want to get more copies of the edits, and I'm usually open to discussions on any issues. I prefer discussion rather than attack.

Anyhow: should I adopt, or should I be adopted? Or, is it best for me not to get involved at this point? Jsc83 23:30, April 25, 2007 (UTC)

In my opinion, if you want to adopt, you should be quite familiar with the policy, so you will be able to help the person adopted when they ask questions. You may also need to be prepared to give general advice on the articles adopted by your adopters.
Edits in your contrib history are mostly (entirely?) vandal-fighting; just based on that, i will say that you may not ready to adopt yet. You say you've been around much longer, so you probably already know enough, but if you've never been involved in any of the previous processes, you should look around the project space, to make sure you understand the main process the new editor is likely to meet (possibly WP : AfD, WP: CSD, and WP: FUC; WP: DR might be a good idea too).
If you want to try to be adopted for a while first, just to be sure, I'll be happy to adopt you. My sister is currently very quiet, so I'm going to go find someone else to adopt. If you choose to be an adopter, please also ask me if you need advice. --Sopoforic 01:45, April 26, 2007 (UTC)
Thank you for your response. After consideration, I feel that although I do not yet have all the knowledge to be able to adopt new users, I do not think I need to be 'adopted'. I have studied policies and guides over and over for months, I know what it is and why they are there, even though I have not really practiced it.
This account is mainly used for vandal-fighting, yes, but that's mostly because it's so easy. Vandalism can be seen a mile (especially with tools by Lupine), and I can do so while concentrating on other things, like TV. I have created at least one stub article, such as Evening Star (Ipswich). This is a paper based in my city, already there for over 100 years, I know well because my family used to (and still) buy it every day as long as I can remember. I remember taking a tour in their office as a school trip when I was about ten years old! So I want to make the article and make it interesting and informative. I refrained from waiting for a response from them after I asked for some information about their history, famous campaigns, etc.
Back on track, I mean that when I do not everything now, I realize what's happening. I do not make or correct many articles factually, because I do not have much to contribute right now. Most of the subjects I know exist, and usually teach me a thing or two! I am not an outspoken person, so I will not plunge into discussions or debates where I do not have to. If I know something is wrong, I might add my two cents.
I think I will abstain from adoption programs now. I feel I am not qualified at this time for adoption or adoption. Cheers, made me think about my role in WP. I hope this project always works. Jsc83 20:25, 27 April 2007 (UTC)




Adopters that have been blocked

Zazzer was recently blocked, but has 4 3 being adopted, which seems to violate general guidelines for users. Is there anything to do about this ?? - Whereizben - Chat with me - My Contribution 20:26, 28 March 2007 (UTC)

Well, maybe there's something to do. At least leave a message on his talk page and give him a chance to explain for himself. The Jade Knight 23:04, March 28, 2007 (UTC)
They only have 3 adoptions at this time. One on the pass list. I would say the block is a block is a block and we have to throw their list as adopter and spread the remaining three above others who are willing to accept. I would gladly take one of three. - MECU ÃÆ' Â ¢ Ã ¢ â,¬ Ã <Ã <â € talk 23:18, 28 March 2007 (UTC)
I thought about it myself. As for explaining, pgk has repeatedly warned them about copy violations, which they seem to have ignored, that's why pgk blocked them, from what I can see. I might be able to take someone, but I'm not sure I'm experienced enough, so I'll be subject to the judgment of others. - Whereizben - Chat with me - My Contribution 13:07, March 29, 2007 (UTC)
He seems like an unreliable person for something like this, and when I go to his speech he says he has retired from Wikipedia. Dreamy 14:57, 28 April 2007 (UTC)
is this still a problem? if so we can always have multiple adopters for each adoption to alleviate the amount of work for each. Matthew Yeager 05:30, 30 April 2007 (UTC)




re: adoption program

Hello, all,

I have searched the list of users looking for adoption, just exploring it to see what users and what kind and I have noticed a few things.

  • There are more than a few users who have had their names on the list for some time, even months!
  • There are some users who seem to have multiple user boxes (including adoption boxes) and few if any other edits.
  • There are some users with boxes that have zero edits and appear to have 'left' WP.
  • There are some users who have lots of UBX and lots of edits and seem to have found their own way.
  • There are some users who have many UBX, and tons of edits, but their edits are mostly vandalism and/or edits, especially on other users' pages

So I think how we can handle all this and promote the program and help improve the WP. I really believe in this program because it helps me when I start here. I think there are many new users who may have many things to contribute but are being delayed by things like learning wikimarkup, getting first edits or articles slapped with abrupt comments (whether intentional or not), or a quick reference to WP: THIS or WP: ITU , etc. I'm sure you all know what I mean. Adopt-a User is the best system I've seen here to help beginners during the first few months and allow them to become valuable contributors.

WP may be at the point where many articles that need are written already here and maybe now we can use input from people outside the mainstream of the internet, both to write articles that are other than needed and to help maintain and expand existing ones.

My mother is 73 years old and has a lot of info and references about quilting and is a great typist and copyist, but she will have no chance in Afd's debate or war editing, and she's just one example. These people may come here and for various reasons are not encouraged or accepted and supported. I realize that some of this spills into decency and other issues, but I see that this program is the place to start. So here's some ideas I think about...

  • Try next month to check all the names on the list and offer adoptions or at least find out if they're still interested.
  • Try recruiting new users.
  • Partner with the Welcome Committee and Help Desk to promote adoption programs to new users.




Re Imagining Adopt-a-User

Background

I was adopted by User: Coelacan in February (in my opinion), and with the blessing has graduated and now has adopted 5 users. My experience is limited but may reflect what others have. If not, show where your thoughts, experiences, and expectations are different.

I asked about a dozen questions during my two months in the program. You can see Q's and Coelacan's A I'm here here .

You can see my current adoption talk page here and here

I have no previous experience with WP, not even as a reader. Do not ask me how it happened because I am a true information junkie, even though I have spent most of the last 5 years doing volunteer work in Nepal. There is internet access there but it is slow and uncertain and I use it mostly for email. I was previously quite active on the web, had a web page, etc. So wikimarkup is not a foreign language.

I soon experienced some problems that I did not know how to deal with and wanted to learn and ended up in the program and got great, detailed and specific advice. I started hanging out in AfD because I sent some articles there and then flooded with all the WP: THIS and WP: ITU and so I read the policies and guidelines and saw the nommed articles and arguments for and against and took everything pretty quickly.

I and I are still struck by the atmosphere within the group that applies here. I am not critical of anyone or anything else except that I see this atmosphere as something that may discourage and drive out people who have something to offer to WP. I am very respectful and grateful to those who have built the WP, I think this is something much larger and more important than many of us may realize. I admit that I am a dreamer and have high expectations for my fellow human beings, but most of the time when I consider the best of others and let them know, I find my expectations fulfilled.

The reason I want to get involved with Adopt-a-User is to encourage and support people who, if helped a little earlier, can be useful contributors to this project, and through this project help make the world a better place. It may sound strange or fantastic but I think WP really has the potential to be part of the changes the world needs.

I'm telling you all this to tell you where I came from and tell you where I want to go with Adopting-Users, and also to show that I've been thinking about this and I'm committed to the effort and time to see it.

That said, here's some thoughts:


  • I imagine the adopted person fall into several broad categories:

1 Those who sign up for fun and never or seldom ask questions.

2 People looking for social experiences.

3 Those who are problem users, either before or after signing up.

4 Those who barely get it and need a lot of help.

5 Those who get it faster or faster and become valuable members.


  • I do not want anyone here to waste their time.

Adoption in group 1 will require little or nothing. I do not propose Handhold-a-User

Adoption in group 2 needs to be reminded what the WP is and no, again a little time invested.

Adoption in group 3 should be shortened, not slapped. I have looked through the pages of some reformed user conversations and contributed members, but I am not proposing Fix-a-User.

Adoption in group 4 will take the longest time.

Adoption in group 5 are the ones who will make everything useful.


The Adopt-a-User program is a privilege, not a right. We give our valuable time to these people because we want to make WP a better place.

Anyone who interferes, who wants to chat or damage the project may and should be imposed at the discretion of the user. If the adopter is willing to work with them, all right, if not, that's also good. They are free to ask for another adoption but we must have a place for a list of jerks and trolls so everyone is aware of them.

This is not rehab. If someone becomes a problem elsewhere, AaU should not be used to guide them back into the fold. A user can take the task if they choose, but only if they choose.

There is no anonymous IP, I think the reason for being a registered user is outside of any reason not to. It also shows a commitment to do something here.


Other Goods

  • I imagine adoption takes about 2 or 3 months, more or less depending on who is adopted.
  • I can imagine a kind of protocol for adoption, I do an editing analysis using Interiot's interlocutors to get ideas about adoption interest, WP usage, 'attitude' (talk etiquette, vandalism, edit use of summaries, etc.), I do not read everything (Goddess Forbid), but 20 minutes is spent looking at the data and checking where edits are most often, can tell you a lot about the user. It will be less valuable to the latest users, but when you work with someone, it can be repeated. You can see how I use it on the first adoption talk page I listed above.
  • I want this to be easy, I would like to develop some standard 'letter forms' to use for the most common tasks, such as offering adoption, first contact (detailing general process) (determined when we go), etc.
  • I would rather not actively promote the program for the first 3-6 months as we develop ideas and put infrastructure.
  • I do not expect others to have high goals that I have and I do not want to assume any ownership of this project. I am willing to do the work and work with anyone who has an idea of ​​how we improve this project. I am committed to consensus , I think that is the most important word on Wikipedia.
  • I think all that new users need to know is already in the WP policies and guidelines and I imagine most of our work simply leads people who are adopted to the guidelines and asks them to read them. We may have to explain a few things and relate them to a particular problem, but the guidelines are the framework here and anyone who wants to be part of this project should learn it, use it, and stick to it.
  • Adoption is about the basics. I do not think we have to deal as usual with how to design templates, infoboxes, or other advanced stuff. Once users find their way and feel comfortable they can learn it elsewhere. This is not to say that users can not help with it, it's just not our real focus.
  • The adopters must be patient, gentle, and courteous. As I mentioned above, there may be patience jargon to WP that we want to give transition. Everyone needs to jump or even be driven from the dock at some point, but not from forty yards above the Bering Sea in January. (It's there, do it, but never again!)
  • There are many parts that I can do and I am willing to do it, but there are things I can not do and others have to do. I can not design templates and do not want to learn. I do not know how to make a chronolist for the adopted person. I'm sure other things will come to me or be shown.
  • I have time for next year to put a lot of effort into this but life is uncertain and anything can happen.

So there are some ideas for us bats. Thank you! kill sparrow (chirp!) 06:21, 28 April 2007 (UTC)

Well, that's a lot of reading, so I'll try to summarize some of the things I want to respond:
  • Adopting-a-Users is not a social endeavor : Agree, to some extent. We're not here just for chatting, but I think that the main thing that makes this useful is that it provides new users with one person they can know, and feels comfortable asking the questions. If all we do is answer the question, we'd better promote the help desk and answer the questions there. Of course, we did some things that were not appropriate for the help desk; personally, I have been asked my opinion on how to improve the tone of an article, and I sometimes check out the recent contributions of the person I adopted to see if I have any suggestions. However, my point is that making users comfortable asking questions and working on wikipedia is an important part of what we do, so you can not completely rule out social aspects.
Yes, I agree. My comment is based on viewing user/talk/edit history from dozens of people in the recipient list. I see that there are some who have made little if any constructive edits, they mostly chat back and forth and exchange user boxes with others I consider friends in the real world. My exchange with coelacan and with one of my recipients is a bit fussy, but in the context of working on articles or discussing WP stuff. I think it's great, but if I want to take it further I'll switch to email or whatever for that aspect.-- kill the sparrow (chirp!) 22:04, April 29, 2007 (UTC)
  • The main problem we face is a secret policy : This is true. I've answered quite a few questions from {{helpme}}, and most recently require me to point out the appropriate policies, along with perhaps a brief summary of the relevant sections. This is the same thing we might face when adopting users.
  • " we must have a place for a list of jolts and trolls ": Strongly disagree. If the user is a troll, he will be banned, maybe. Anyone who has not been banned has the possibility of making a positive contribution. Having a list of people you (or us, or anyone else) thinks is unfeasible to deal with, and publishing the list, is a very, very bad idea, I think. The real problem will be very easy to recognize by looking at the contribution of users, which I think we should do.
Good point, I agree - kill sparrow (chirp!) 22:04, 29 April 2007 (UTC)
  • About the chronological list for the person requesting adoption: I made that kind of thing. See the "Some thoughts to start with" section for more info on that.
More of me later, maybe, but that's all for now. --Sopoforic 10:58, 28 April 2007 (UTC)




Automation?

There seems to be a lot of people waiting for adoption in the Category: Wikipedia who want to be adopted in Adopt-users and many people are willing to adopt on Wikipedia: Adopt-a-User/Adoptee's Area/Adopters. It seems that many adopters are willing but not actively looking for adopted people, and I would guess that many recipients do not have the knowledge or inclination to seek adopters.

My guess is that the majority of adopters and adopted people are waiting for others to take the first step. Will there be several ways to write scripts or bots that automatically match potential recipients with users who want to? Even if the actual automation is too difficult or impractical, can we develop a sua

Source of the article : Wikipedia

Comments
0 Comments